This recipe is a unique one, it is inspired by a crushed cucumber salad that my husband and I tried at our local Chinese restaurant. We wanted the delightful tangy Asian dressing but with something more satiating than just crushed cucumber, thus, I decided to use glass noodles. This simple recipe is a great Asian noodle salad that can be enjoyed as an entree, light lunch or a side dish.
Note: The recipe below is suitable for sharing, please half the dressing ingredients and noodles if you wish to make this for 1-2 people.
- 250g glass noodles.
- 1 red pepper.
- 1 carrot.
- 200g Chinese cabbage.
- 50g unsalted roasted peanuts (alternatively sesame seeds).
For the dressing:
- 100ml soy sauce.
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 tsp sugar.
- 40ml rice wine vinegar.
- 1-2 tsp sesame seed oil.
- 1-2 tsp of sriracha.
1. First, chop the spring onions, next, thinly slice the carrots and peppers (julienne style). Then, turn the cabbage so that it is flat side down and slice it into thin strips.
2. Then, make the sauce by mixing the sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame seed oil into a bowl.
3. Next, boil some water and cook the noodles according to the package. On the last minute of cooking add the cabbage. Once the noodles and cabbage are done, drain them in a colander whilst rinsing them in ice-cold water. Make sure you let them cool down completely.
4. Finally, add the carrot, peppers and spring onions into the noodles. Mix it thoroughly and top with crushed roasted nuts and a drizzle of sesame seed oil (you may add sriracha for an extra kick).