This plant-based breakfast recipe is a great addition to your cooking repertoire. It takes under ten minutes to make and it mimics the eggy taste that many of us love. Furthermore, it is a high protein meal and should keep you feeling satiated for long. So for those who love/loved runny eggs, this one is for you! I will be creating two more basic “egg” recipes in the future; they will include a vegan omelette and scrambled eggs (the dryer kind). But for now, I hope you enjoy this!
Time:10 minutes. Serves: 2-3
- 200g tofu.
- 1 tsp of vegetable seasoning.
- 1/2 tsp of black salt aka Kala Namak. This is essential as it gives it the eggy taste.
- 1 tsp of chives (fresh or not).
- Sprinkle of turmeric (optional).
- 150 ml of unsweetened plant-milk (I used soy milk).
- 1-2 tsp of a plant-based butter.
- 1 tbsp of flour.
- Crumble the tofu into a non-stick saucepan and season with the half a teaspoon of vegetable seasoning and a pinch black salt (we will add more black salt near the end). Add the unsweetened milk into the same saucepan and put it on medium-high heat.
- Mix the tofu in with the milk and sprinkle it with turmeric (this is only for colour). Keep the mixture on medium-high heat and stir it regularly (wait for the mixture to start bubbling).
- In the meantime, make a slurry by mixing the tablespoon of flour with 3 tablespoons of water (this will help thicken the mixture slightly).
- Now turn the heat down to a low-medium, add in the chives along with the slurry and combine it thoroughly.
- Once it has slightly thickened, add the teaspoon of butter and the remanding black salt. Mix it together, taste and re-season if desire. Now serve it as you wish!