This is my Apple pie inspired oatmeal, a recipe that is ideal for breakfast or dessert. This has been my most repeated recipe throughout winter, just thinking of its perfect blend of spices, warmth and sweetness is enough to get me out of bed on a chilly day. I am sure you will love this simple & healthy alternative to the beloved apple pie!
- 1/2 cup of Rolled Oats.
- 1 Apple.
- 2 tbs Coconut Sugar (or an alternative sweetener).
- 0.2 cup of Plant Milk (Almond, Hazelnut or Soy etc.)
- 1 1/4 Water.
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon.
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg.
- 1 tsp Coconut oil.
1. Dice your apple and measure out the ingredients.
2. Heat up the pot on medium/low heat for 30 seconds.
3. Put the rolled oats into the heated pot and continually stir them on the heat for 1 minute (this gives it a more roasted taste). Add a pinch of salt.
4. Add the water and bring it to a boil.
5. Once the water has come to a boil, lower the heat to simmer for 7 minutes.
I recommend boiling the oats in water rather than milk. Firstly, because milk tends to burn more easily and create a thick gluey layer. Secondly, it is simply a waste of milk. Not to worry, we will add milk towards the end to create a creamier taste!
6. Stir the oats often whilst they simmer.
Now begin with the apple filling!
7. Put a small pot on a low heat to melt the coconut oil, once melted add the apples and stir them on medium-low heat. When they are slightly softened add the 3/4 of the spice mix.
8. Once the oats have cooked for 7minutes, add your milk of choice. Keep it on a low heat and continue to stir it for another 2mins on low heat. Add the remanding sugar and the rest of the spices.
9. Stir in 1/4 of stewed apples to the oats. Then serve it in a bowl and add the remaining apples on top. Sprinkle with some cinnamon.
Once the apples are stirred in it should be sweet enough but if you have a sweet tooth then add more of your preferred sweetener.
Click ingredients below to see their health benefits: