This is an easy quick recipe. I first made this for my son’s second birthday, I wanted to prepare a party snack that the non-vegan guest could enjoy too, a snack that breaks the stereotype that vegan food is simply rabbit food… needless to say, the plates were clear pretty quickly and everyone enjoyed them! My hope is that you will also enjoy this easy to prepare the recipe.
- 500g puff pastry (vegan).
- 200g tomato sauce.
- 160 grams vegan grated cheese (I used mozzarella style).
- Seasoning: oregano (1.5 tsp), basil (1 tsp), salt (1tsp), pepper (1 tsp).
- Optional: brush with oil once ready for the oven, sprinkle more oregano on top.
- Take the puff pastry out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before handling pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 Fahrenheit) or to the temperature your puff pastry package recommends.
- Prepare the ingredients: grate cheese, measure seasoning and tomato sauce.
- Place flour on your work surface before placing your pastry on top. Roll the pastry out into a large square.
- At this point you will have to cut the pastry in half so you are left with two rectangles, this is so we can place it on top of the other half later.
- Spread the tomato sauce and cheese over the pastry and then place the unused half pastry on top to make a pocket.
- Cut into 1-2cm strips, then twist the strips from either side.
- Place the twist onto baking paper and put the tray into the oven (middle shelf) for 15minutes Note: the cooking time may vary, so check the recommended cooking time.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes and sprinkle with oregano (if you want) and enjoy!